Monday, July 22, 2019

Making Connections

I posted the following on Facebook yesterday, after a really dramatic trip to the grocery store.  Take some time to read, then I want to tell you the rest of the story. 

*************************************************************

We try to teach our kids about the importance of "it takes a village", and stepping out of your comfort zone to help others in need, and to not be afraid to ask for help when you need help. Sometimes, the best way to teach is by example. So much gratitude (tears welling as I type) to those perfect strangers who stepped in to help in time of need. I hope I recognize you when next our paths cross--
To the man who gave up his belt to tourniquet my leg and didn't appear to think twice. Who carried me (and I am not light!) across the Food Lion parking lot in 100 degrees. Who kept kids calm, got my husband there, stepped up for a perfect stranger. We owe you a belt. And probably much more. Thank you for seeing a need and not hesitating to jump in. I almost said "I'm fine", but I wasn't, and I'm glad you saw that.
To the (I think you are new?) Food Lion manager who probably has to toss his shirt and tie now, but appeared out of nowhere and did not hesitate to, literally, get his hands dirty. That was not in your job description, but thank you for your speed and your kindness and for not berating me for messing up your parking lot. I will be mildly embarrassed to see you on my next shopping trip, because I'm pretty certain everyone saw my knickers, and I do have to keep shopping there, but I'll pretend it's no big deal.
And to the man who held my hand for what seemed like hours, but may have only been 10 minutes- who knew I was scared to death even though I didn't want my girls to know. Who didn't flinch for a second when I grabbed, desperate for something to hold. And who stayed right there with me until the ambulance came. Thank you for keeping me secure in more ways than one.
You men showed my girls what it means to be a hero, what it means to be connected, and how important it is to put other's needs in front of your own. I am so glad you are part of our Community.
And, of course, everyone else who showed up to help-- who moved in and out of the scene with towels and water and phones and hugs and handholds. I wasn't really cognizant enough to express my gratitude fully, and I may have missed someone lucrative, but Thank You.
And, the Food Lion- North Main staff and managers. I am so sorry for the fuss, but thank you for your care and your concern (and for showing gratitude to the "hero" as you were able) and for keeping my girls calm, and communicating with my husband, and keeping me laughing.
And- lastly- Blacksburg Police Department and EMT and the Lewis Gale Hospital staff. I know it's your job and it's exactly what you had planned for your Saturday night, but it wasn't in my evening's plans. Thank you for being there.
If any of my Blacksburg friends know who these kind strangers were, please make sure they know how grateful we are.
Cliff notes version of drama: I dropped a bottle as I was loading groceries in my car, managed to open an artery, made a mess. Feel like an idiot, but now I get a few days with my foot up and everyone feeling sorry for me. I got my first ambulance ride, and my little girls have learned a serious lesson about when to call 911, helping those in need, and why you don't ask for Creme Soda as a special treat. Or maybe you just buy it in cans...

********************************************************************

Here's the rest of the story.  

That morning, as a special reward, I was taking Kolbie and Micah to get their first pedicures.  On the way in, we decided to stop and get a drink at the next door coffee shop.  As we walked in, I commented to the girls "you can't get your first pedicure without having something delicious to sip on".  A women walking past us overheard my comment and interjected with a smile and a "she's right and enjoy your pedicures!"  I smiled at the stranger, but Micah reacted with an appalled  "she was eavesdropping!"  I corrected her:  Not eavesdropping, CONNECTING. And I went on to reiterate to the girls that you can't segregate yourself from those you pass by in your day to day.  You have to reach out and make connections.  So that become the theme of the day.  Every time a conversation happened:  a man in the art shop who was looking for a fountain pen, a women in the restaurant where we ate lunch, a man in the grocery store providing a wine recommendation... and with every interaction, Micah would giggle and in a sing-song voice, say "making connections...."

So fast forward to me laying on the parking lot, gushing blood, with strangers all around me.  And I look up at Micah, smile at her, and say "now THIS is how you make connections".  





No comments:

Post a Comment